Proposals are due to NEED Executive Director, Ali Mitchell, over email as a single PDF by 5pm ET on August 15, 2023. EMAIL: [email protected].
Post updated August 14, 2023.
The Association of Northeastern Extension Directors (NEED) announces an opportunity to obtain funds for interstate collaborations that support, advance or promote Extension initiatives that directly target or build capacity for programs that reach urban audiences. Proposals must involve participation by Extension personnel from a minimum of two states in the Northeast Region.
A range of activities can be supported including, but not limited to:
- Training and Demonstration – Sharing successful approaches or models that will allow states to adopt, modify or expand extension programs for urban audiences.
- Professional Development – Enhancing the capacity of staff to deliver programs to urban audiences.
- Program Development – Creating/piloting new programs to reach urban audiences.
- Communication and Connection – Enhancing communication, technology, or urban Extension networks.
Examples of allowable expenses include:
- Travel and meeting costs.
- Materials and supplies.
- Contracts for service with external facilitators, consultants, or experts.
Note: All expenditures must be consistent with policies of the institution of the proposed leader and team members.
How much support is offered?
Applicants may apply for a maximum of $4,000 to be spent within one year of approval of the proposal.
Required Contents of Submission
All proposals must be submitted as a single PDF and include the following:
- Name/title of proposed initiative
- Name, title, and contact information of proposal leader
- List of additional team members (including name, title, and home institution)
- Narrative (maximum of 4,000 characters, including spaces) that addresses:
- Purpose of proposed activities.
- Methods – how proposed activities will be designed, conducted, implemented, and delivered.
- Goals – what will happen as a result of the proposed activities.
- Budget with a timetable and a description for all expenditures.
Proposals must be submitted to Ali Mitchell, NEED Executive Director, at [email protected] no later than 5pm ET August 15, 2023. Proposals may be submitted by any group/team of northeast extension employees with endorsement from their Extension Directors.
Proposal Review and Criteria for Funding
A first round of proposal review will be conducted by a select committee of the NEED Chair, NEED Executive Director, and Northeast NUEL Network Chair. The Northeast Extension Directors (NEED) will then conduct a final evaluation and award funds based on the potential proposed projects have to effectively support, advance, promote or build capacity for Extension programs that reach urban audiences. Proposals that meet the following criteria will be prioritized:
- Proposed goals and activities are clear and of high quality.
- There is a commitment of additional funds or in-kind resources from Extension directors and/or administrators of participating states or external partners.
- Team members have significant experience, expertise, or a record of achievement in the areas related to the proposed activities.
- The proposal includes a plan that demonstrates, documents, or promotes ways the project will increase the impact of Extension programs delivered to urban audiences.
Sharing Award Successes
Within one year of receiving the award, recipients will be asked to share a brief report on the utility of the award and the team’s success in achieving their identified goals with NEED. Recipients may be offered the opportunity to share their successes through other venues as appropriate.
Contact: William Miller, NEED Chair
Email: [email protected]