The initial proposal period has closed. Check back soon for information on the next round of funding.
The Association of Northeastern Extension Directors (NEED) announces an opportunity to assist interstate collaborations that support, advance or promote a variety of Extension initiatives that directly target or build capacity for programs that reach urban audiences. The submission deadline is December 1, 2021. Proposals must involve participation by Extension personnel from a minimum of two states in the Northeast Region.
A range of activities can be supported including, but not limited to:
- Training and Demonstration – Sharing successful approaches or models that will allow states to adopt, modify or expand extension program for urban audiences.
- Professional Development – Enhancing the capacity of staff to deliver programs to urban audiences.
- Program Development – Creating/piloting new programs to reach urban audiences.
- Communication and Connection – Enhancing communication, technology or urban Extension networks.
Examples of allowable expenses include:
- Travel and meeting costs
- Materials and supplies
- Contracts for service with external facilitators, consultants or experts
(Note: All expenditures must be consistent with policies of the institution of the proposed leader and team members)
How much support is offered?
Applicants may apply for a maximum of $3,000 to be spent within one year of approval of the proposal.
Required Contents of Submission
Proposals should be submitted over email as a single PDF. All proposals must include the following:
- Name/title of proposed initiative
- Name, title, and contact information of proposal leader
- List of additional team members (including name, title, and home institution)
- Narrative (maximum of 4,000 characters, including spaces) that addresses:
- Purpose of proposed activities
- Methods – how proposed activities will be designed, conducted, implemented and delivered
- Goals – what will happen as a result of proposed activities
- Budget table and narrative (how you will apply the funds received and the timetable for expenditures)
Proposals may be submitted by any set of Northeast Extension employees, or teams of Extension employees, with endorsement from their Extension directors or administrators. Remember, proposals must involve participation by Extension personnel from a minimum of two states in the Northeast Region.
Proposals should be submitted over email as a single PDF to NEED Executive Director, Ali Mitchell ([email protected]) and copied to the Extension directors and/or administrators of all Land Grant Universities for which a team member has been identified.
Proposal Review and Criteria for Funding
A three-person review committee will evaluate proposals and award funds based on the potential to effectively support, advance, promote or build capacity for programs that reach urban audiences. The committee will consist of two individuals appointed by the Northeast National Urban Extension Leadership Team. A member of the NEED Executive Committee will serve as the third member. Proposals will be prioritized that meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Clarity and quality of the proposed activities
- Commitment of additional funds or in-kind resources from Extension directors and/or administrators of participating states
- Team members have significant experience, expertise, or a record of achievement in the areas related to the proposed activities
- Inclusion of a plan that demonstrates, documents or promotes the value of Extension programs delivered to urban audiences
Within one year of receiving the award, recipients will submit a written report (based on a template that will be provided) on how the grant funds were spent and on the degree of success in achieving identified goals.
Contact the NEED Executive Director, Ali Mitchell
Phone: (401) 682-7297
Email: [email protected]